23 January 2013

8th Anniversary

2012-2013 is a stretch of my life that involves a lot of changes, both personal and professional, and while I don't share everything on this site, I do have to thank all of the readers and fellow writers whose e-mails, comments, and friendships make this endeavor so enjoyable. As I've said many times, I only started this whole thing as a way to keep notes. I had no idea it would introduce me to so many amazing people here in Memphis and around the world.

Highlights of 2012:
  • Probably the biggest news was the paid writing gig for Serious Eats (list of my articles). I'm still doing it, despite a little hiatus during the hectic holiday season. Working with an editor and dealing with assignments was a great learning experience, and I look forward to a continued relationship with the site.
  • I joined the Southern Tastes panel for Memphis' newspaper The Commercial Appeal, which means that a couple of times a month I join area chefs and food personalities to opine about various topics. It's nice to have your picture in the good part of the newspaper.
  • I finally managed to make perfect pasta from scratch, culminating in an amazing batch of rabbit ravioli served with some delicious Edna Valley wines.
  • My friend Juli Eck introduced me to the amazing Stetson Salad, which I had fun rebuilding.
  • The April Fools' Day post about twineblogging actually resulted in some offers from various jute twine manufacturers.
  • Further explorations into authentic Mexican cooking with mole negro oaxaqueño.
  • Getting to share Tokaji with Julia and her family for the first time was a magical experience.
  • The shrimp and grits in lobster stock was a real show-stopper.
  • Lots of great online tastings this past year, far too many to mention, but it's nice bumping into the same bloggers once a month or so.

2013 is off to a great start, and after a brief break in the holidays, it's time for the rush of Valentine's Day samples. Thanks again to everyone for reading, and I can't wait for us to make it to the big 10 in 2015. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

fredric koeppel said...

We're glad you're here and doing what you do. Congratulations.. in the blogosphere, eight years is a lifetime.

Allen said...

Great writing, tasting information, cooking tips and recipes. Keep up the good work.

Allen

Benito said...

Dad & Fredric,

Thanks for all the support and all the great times at the table together. It's been a blast and there's no reason to stop now.

Cheers,
Benito

Samantha Dugan said...

A very happy anniversary to you Ben!