07 January 2013

Crémant d'Alsace from Lucien Albrecht

In 1425, Romanu Albrecht began winemaking in the Alsatian town of Thann. Later in 1698, Balthazar Albrecht moved the family and operation to Orschwir, which is still the center of operations today, led by the 18th-generation Jean Albrecht.

Lucien Albrecht is the current name of the winery, which makes a wide range of Alsatian still wines, but here I'm focusing on two Crémants d'Alsace, made in the méthode champenoise. Crémants throughout France are often a tasty and more affordable alternative to Champagne while still maintaining high quality. Additionally, the blended French-German heritage of the region means that the wines are well suited to dishes involving sausage and potatoes, or similar hearty fare that you'll find on Midwestern dinner tables here in the US. Yes, I love Crémant d'Alsace with bratwurst and sauerkraut and a cold potato salad. Way better than beer.

NV Lucien Albrecht Crémant d'Alsace
Brut Blanc de Blancs
80% Pinot Auxerrois, 10% Pinot Blanc, & 10% Chardonnay
Alsace, France
$20, 12% abv.

I've always found Crémant d'Alsace to have a lovely green apple profile, but this one gets a little more rounder feel from the Pinot Blanc and Chardonnay. Still crisp and slightly tart, but with a nice mellow finish. Touches of honey and lemon on the aftertaste, and a great all-purpose sparkling wine.

NV Lucien Albrecht Crémant d'Alsace
Brut Rosé
100% Pinot Noir
Alsace, France
$24, 12% abv.

The rosé is my favorite of the two, but then again, I'm a little biased towards sparkling Pinot Noir in general. I prefer the slightly deeper flavors and the strawberry notes. Medium sized bubbles with a dry flavor and lovely finish. The beautiful salmon color is wonderful to look at while you're dining, and I found that the leftovers the next day were just as good. Bring this one to a party, because it will be a crowd pleaser but if you love wine, you'll get to enjoy it as well. Strongly recommended.

Note: These wines were received as samples.

5 comments:

fredric koeppel said...

I agree about Cremant d'Alsace, and I love these two.

Benito said...

Fredric,

Great flavor, great history, excellent quality-price ratio... What's not to love?

Cheers,
Benito

Jim Wilkerson / VINEgeek said...

And a nice flag to boot. ;)

I've enjoyed the blanc de blanc as well. I'll have to try the rosé.

Benito said...

Jim,

I've got most of the flags available as a free/creative commons download on the left sidebar. Need to update to add the Alsace flag, which is quite awesome.

Cheers,
Benito

Nikos said...

Cremant d'Alsace are for me the best Cremant you can buy...I did try a couple of bottles from Bourgogne and Loire, but could'nt find one with the particulars aroma you can find in Cremant d'Alsace...