12 September 2011

2010 El Raval

As summer draws to a close, I know I'm excited about getting to enjoy more red wines. As much as I love the whites, rosés, and sparklers, the searing heat of a Memphis summer means that often I'm not in the mood for a red. Fortunately things have cooled off a bit. Across Tennessee, people are saying, "This is great--can we just stop right here and stay like this for the rest of the year?

From the company that made Bogatell comes this red blend named after a barrio in Barcelona. Raval is the Catalan word for suburb, derived from the Arabic rabad meaning neighborhood. About 8% of Spanish is comprised of Arabic loanwords. What's always surprised me is how mundane most of the words are. Albóndigas are meatballs, and the notorious alcatraz just means pelican.

2010 El Raval
Montsant D.O.
$13, 14% abv.
80% Grenache, 20% Carignan

Chocolate and leather, smooth with some blueberry flavors. Creamy, soft finish. It's ready to go right after opening the bottle, and I served it with seared flank steak and seasoned rice. Pleasant and mild wine that's great for a quiet evening at home.


Note: This wine was received as a sample.

No comments: