07 September 2011

2008 Feudo Principi di Butera Nero d'Avola

Here's a rare wine. Not rare as in obscure or expensive, but rare in the context of this blog because I went to a brick and mortar store and purchased it rather than waited for it to show up via FedEx or UPS. The life of the wineblogger can seem hedonistic to many, but there are times when you miss actually picking out a wine you'd like to have with dinner. "I'd really like a Côtes du Rhône right now, but I've got three Zinfandels that need notes."

There are, of course, much worse problems to have in this life, and I consider myself lucky to get to try so many interesting wines from so many places.

I found myself in a wine shop, and just wanted a simple and tasty wine. This Nero d'Avola jumped out at me. I'm a longtime fan of the grape, and if it were legal, I think that pizza companies could make a fortune by delivering a cellar-cool bottle of NdA with the hot pies. Something about cured meats like pepperoni, guanciale, bacon, salami, etc., are just undeniably perfect with Nero d'Avola.

2008 Feudo Principi di Butera Nero d'Avola
Sicily
$10, 13% abv.

This wine is dark and smoky while black cherry aromas dominate. It has a fairly mild flavor with firm, mouth-drying tannins and a long finish. Happily paired with roasted pork where it performed admirably, and of course, I got to pair the leftover wine with some pizza a day later.

2 comments:

Carolyn Blakeslee said...

Sounds yummy! (I just noticed the 10-cents in your upper right corner, b-t-w -- nice touch that elicited a smile.)

Benito said...

Carolyn,

It's based off the old Saturday Evening Post cover, and I actually heard an approving comment from the magazine.

This Nero d'Avola is great, but there's lots of them out there these days that are all affordable and food friendly.

Cheers,
Benito