18 September 2013

2012 Campo Viejo Garnacha

This little wine showed up with full latitude and longitude coordinates on it. Someone asked if this referred to the winery or the vineyard, but the satellite view indicates both: N: 42°28'48" W: 02°29'08". (My first search used east longitude by accident, pointing to an area in the extreme southeast of France, leading to a lot of confusion.)

I've sampled many Campo Viejo wines over the years, and the orange and red waiter's corkscrew with their name is still my favorite. Something about the color and the chrome makes it look like a 50s hot rod.

I enjoyed this wine on a quiet Sunday afternoon with a burger topped with red onion marmalade, sautéed mushrooms, and smoked Gouda. In the photo you can see the red onion, garlic, and Cherokee Purple heirloom tomato that all went together for the tasty lunch.

2012 Campo Viejo Garnacha
Rioja
100% Garnacha
$14, 14% abv.

Dominant aroma of blueberries with following elements of blackberry and red cherry. These continued on the palate with big berry flavors but low tannins and a soft finish. There's probably a great authentic Spanish pairing for this, and I need to study the cuisine more, but I have to admit that it served as a perfect burger wine.

Note: This wine was provided as a sample.

1 comment:

e-regular said...

Lol - a burger wine!! Hahaha, you crack me up. You remind me of Paul Giamatti in the film Sideways where he drinks his best bottle, a 1961 Château Cheval Blanc at the local burger joint.

:)

Santé!