04 June 2010

Shiner 101

I think every beer lover is excited that Shiner has continued its anniversary series with the release of Shiner 101. This Czech-style Pilsner was created to celebrate the 101st birthday of the venerable Texas brewery. $7/6 pack, 4.6% abv.

Slightly bitter with a hint of an orange peel edge to it. There's an earthy, musky element from the Saaz hops. Bitter finish and lingering aftertaste. This one screams out for barbecue, even if it is that roasted beef stuff they make down in Texas. (I kid, I kid... I love brisket and there are some Memphis BBQ joints where I actually prefer it to the pulled pork or ribs.) The bitterness and rougher flavors will play well against the sweet/acidic sauces, but it's not too heavy for summertime drinking.

Pilsner gets a bad rap at times because it's the ancestor of American lager, the dominant style of Budweiser/Coors/Miller. I've had a few imports from Czech Republic and once you've had a real Pils, you lose your taste for the pale imitation. Since the Shiner 101 is brewed using Bohemian Hana barley and the aforementioned Saaz hops, it's about as authentic a Pilsner as you're likely to get from a domestic brewery.

5 comments:

Samantha Dugan said...

The hubby and I prefer pork to beef when it comes to BBQ but I will say I did have some amazing brisket while in Texas. So Benito buddy I would love it if you could tell us a couple must-not-miss BBQ spots for us to try when we are in Memphis next month.

Benito said...

Sam,

It's a contentious topic, and I'm sure Michael and I will disagree on the individual restaurants. The best advice I can give is to skip the big famous ones everyone says you have to visit--Corky's and Rendezvous. Both are relatively pricy, crowded, and parking is generally an issue. Plus, they're more likely to be full of tourists as opposed to locals.

Just off the top of my head, I'd recommend Tops, Interstate, Payne's, and the Germantown Commissary. I think they provide a more authentic experience.

Cheers,
Benito

Big Mike said...

Sam please don't miss Central BBQ, on Central, they have 2 locations. Unreal. Not that Ben suggestions are not good especially Payne's. But I like the BBQ Shop on madison for just a good pulled pork sandwich. hope you have a blast in Memphis. Great Town.

Samantha Dugan said...

Ben & Big Mike,
Thank you both so much! I have taken notes and removed at least one of the spots the hubby read that we "had" to go to. Thanks again for the tips gentlemen, cannot wait.

Benito said...

Sam,

As with many things, if you ask three Memphians about where to eat BBQ, you're going to hear at least six different opinions. I remember seeing a list of things you had to have for a good BBQ joint--flies buzzing around the outside, mismatched chairs, grease on the menu and prices crossed out and updated by hand, etc.

We'll try to steer you away from the tourist traps.

Cheers,
Benito