09 June 2007

2005 Tienen Duende Verdejo

While in Albuquerque, I got to purchase a bottle of wine in a grocery store for the first time in the U.S. (no problem in Europe). It was a strange experience: to be treated like a responsible adult and not forced to shuffle over to an approved shop during approved hours. I only wish I'd had a kitchen avaialable so I could get the ingredients for dinner and a matching bottle of wine within the same four walls.

Looking for something fun and refreshing, I picked up a bottle of the 2005 Tienen Duende Verdejo from Castilla y León, Spain, for $6. (No information found online, which is often the case with small run Spanish wines.) A clean aroma, with well-rounded body. Some peach and apricot, low acidity but not flat. Dry but with good fruit. All in all a good bargain and easy afternoon sipper. I found it a great match for a cherry empanada picked up from a local bakery.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

this wine is a great one for hot summer days. I sipped on this with a plate of berries and was very refreshed. the price is also very attractive.

Anonymous said...

I had this wine a few months back and have not been able to find it again. I purchased it in an Albertsons in Santa Rosa CA which has since changed hands. It would be nice to hear if anyone has come across this wonderful wine. I have kept the empty bottle and show it to all wine enthusiasts on the off chance they may stumble across it. It would be nice to be sipping it at this very moment with our Northern CA temperatures way up there. I actually found this blog while looking for this wine...that's a good thing!

Anonymous said...

I just bought this bottle of wine at the Albetson's on Westview Parkway in Mira Mesa (San Diego). I haven't opened yet but look forward too. They also had it in Reds. = )

Anonymous said...

I just shared a bottle of Tienen Duende Garnacha over pasta w red sauce w/ hubby- and both agree- great wine for the dollar!!! very tasty- will definately try other by them. :)

Anonymous said...

Please... Can anyone tell me where they are buying this wine?

Anonymous said...

I just purchased this wine tonight at Albertson's in Rancho San Diego

Anonymous said...

If you google the name you will see a small site. www.tienenduende.com , you will notice at the bottom, this wine is made exclusive for about 4 or five grocery stores. I first saw the wine on cheapwinecritics.com , it is a web site that critiques wines $12.00 and under, but more importantly they have an exclusive section, shows like walmarts, 7-eleven, Food lion, and so on. Tienen duende is one of alberstsons exclusive.

Anonymous said...

I recently found this outstanding Verdejo at a Save Mart Supermarket on Deerfield Drive in Squaw Valley.The price was pretty wonderful, too: $1.99! Wish I could have bought a case to ship back to Mass. This is one wine I shall continue to search for and ask about.

Anonymous said...

I just bought a bottle 2005 Tienen Dueende Verdejo in Alberston Store in Port Orchard, Wa. on Sedgewick