11 January 2006

2003 Navarro Vineyards Pinot Noir

Can't believe I forgot to mention this one. Last Friday I fixed dinner for my date as well as a close friend and his date. Afterwards, we retreated to the couches to watch a movie... A good time was had by all.

The girl I'm dating went home to California for Christmas and returned with a bottle of the 2003 Navarro Vineyards Pinot Noir from the Anderson Valley in Mendocino. Retails for around $23, though it's not available here in Memphis. Her father got it from the vineyard. It was an excellent Pinot Noir, and even more fun to serve because I'd started out the evening with my old favorite, the sparkling pinot noir from Domaine Ste. Michelle. The Navarro had a light and delicate structure, with excellent raspberry and strawberry flavors. Just a hint of spice on the nose. All four of us enjoyed it.

What was for dinner? I didn't have time to put together anything too fancy, but I did coconut milk-brined pork tenderloin cooked with a plum glaze and topped with skillet-browned chopped apples cooked in butter and rum. On the side, green beans and a mushroom-leek risotto. No pictures this time, sometimes when you're impressing the ladies it's time to put such things aside and just enjoy the moment, allowing it to live only in memory.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Can't wait to read more!!!