15 January 2014

NV Yellow Tail Big Bold Red

This wine is something of a mystery, as I don't have a vintage or any grape information. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing--there are lots of table wines out there that do not provide every last detail and percentage. If I had to guess, I'd think there was a bold dose of Syrah, but high-volume blends can be difficult to discern from a blind tasting, and I'm way out of practice in that regard.

As I'm entering my tenth year with this blog, it's also interesting to note that wines like this dominated my early writing, whereas nowadays I'm more liable to be writing about some small production Oregon Pinot Blanc that only saw a production run of 10 cases, all of which were sampled at a private event that none of my readers were invited to attend. There is plenty of room in the wine market (and wine appreciation) for everything within the spectrum.

NV Yellow Tail Big Bold Red
$10, 13.5% abv.

The name is accurate as this wine is in fact big and bold. If you're ever looking for a definition of jammy, this one brings it with a strong aroma of Smucker's Strawberry. Slightly sweet with deep red fruit flavors, low tannins, and a short finish. Break it out this summer with the BBQ to enjoy cold with ribs and smoked chicken where it will go along well with the rich sauces.

Musical interlude provided by Glenn Miller: "It Must Be Jelly Cause Jam Don't Shake Like That"

Note: This wine was provided as a sample for review.

1 comment:

dl said...

yes---- can smell the smuckers---- but i do like this wine. Right now it is only $5 a bottle in saint louis, Mo. YEAH MATE. Good job yellow tail.