20 August 2012

Whiplash Wines

Last week I wrote about Reata wines, and today I'm focusing on a division of their company called Whiplash Wines. These are their bargain wines, though still quite tasty and worth checking out.

The labels continue with the western/cowboy theme of the Reata style and, given my Calvinist Presbyterian background, the Redemption name was particularly amusing.

2010 Whiplash Chardonnay
California
$11, 14.5% abv.

Firm oak presence with bright acidity. Peach and vanilla aromas with a bracing oak flavor and a long finish. I found it to be delicious with smoked chicken and black bean tacos topped with a vibrant salsa verde.

2009 Whiplash Redemption
California
65% Syrah, 25% Barbera, 10% Zinfandel
$11, 13.2% abv.

Big fruit and firm tannins, blackberries and black cherry. Tart, tannic finish. If a wine ever called out for a bacon cheeseburger, it would be this one. Great casual Wednesday wine after getting home from work.

Note: These wines were received as samples.

4 comments:

Kelly and Angie said...

Redemption sounds very good right now, and what do you know today is Wednesday! We will keep an eye out for this line.

Benito said...

Kelly & Angie,

As always, if you try it, let me know what you think. And crack that whip!

Cheers,
Benito

lynn said...

Everywhere I go it's sold out;0 Even Amazon!!!!I loved this wine from the first glass.Excellent choice for a party ....we had an overwhelming love in the group and oops, one case down:(

Anonymous said...

I have no idea where or when I picked up the bottle of "Redemption". It's been in the rack for over a year and I just opened it moments ago.

Being, almost exclusively, a boring, Merlot drinker, I will venture outside my comfort zone from time to time; however, often with disappointment and regret.

In regards to Whiplash Redemption, there's no doubt I bought the bottle on a whim being drawn in by the label and description. This time, no disappointment or regret but rather pleasant surprise and intrigue! I had to research and found your blog and was compelled to agree with your quite accurate description. One can't possibly pass up a good bargain either!