30 April 2006

Leg of Lamb Dinner

I had dinner over at my brother's place with a friend last night. My sister-in-law and niece were out of town, providing the opportunity for a good guys' night. Things were kept pretty simple: I made some roasted potatoes with rosemary (I've just been craving this recently), and while my brother grilled the lamb (boneless, laid flat on the grill), I made a sauce to go with it. A cup of Dijon mustard, a quarter cup of peach jelly, and a half a cup of bourbon. Sounds odd but it was delicious.

The first bottle consumed was the 2003 The Lucky Country GSM from the Barossa Valley in Australia. I had this at a tasting in February and enjoyed it, but it went particularly well with the lamb. Excellent fruit and low tannins. The second bottle was the 2001 Mt. Oso Cabernet Sauvignon - Cellar Select. Lots of blackberries on the nose and palate, and it still tastes like a fairly young wine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You sure get a good supply of Aussie wine in your area Ben.