20 February 2005

Tasting Notes for February 19, 2005

Wine 1: 2003 Ruffino Pinot Grigio. (Warning: that site is all Flash-based, and I couldn't find any information on this specific wine.) Not bad, but I'm beginning to get turned off of Pinot Grigio. It goes down like water, because it... tastes like water. It's almost as clear as glass and no nose. This isn't a complaint just about this wine, it's been my usual experience. $13.

WIne 2: Sutter Home Moscato. This was the blind bottle, and I was all wrong. It's been a while since I've had a Moscato, but this one was really light and refreshing, not dark and syrupy. Very nice aromas, and a fun little dessert wine. Great quality for the price, and not a bad idea for those new to wine or those who have a sweet tooth. $4.

Wine 3: 2002 Ravenswood Chardonnay. A standard California Chardonnay. Fall fruit and a little buttery. It was OK, but I have difficulty getting excited about inexpensive Chardonnay. I've found in general that if you're drinking Chardonnay or Cabernet Sauvignon, you need to be spending at least $15 a bottle, and then know something about the vineyard before you buy. $10.

Wine 4: 2002 Bogle Petite Sirah. I loved this wine--it was really dark and tart, though not overly tannic. I think everyone needs to drink blending grapes like Petite Sirah once in a while. It will help you pinpoint when they're used as blending grapes in other wines. Highly recommended, and a good bargain. $11.

Wine 5: 2000 Chateau Greysac Cru Bourgeois Medoc. A great entry-level Bordeaux. Old enough to be smoothed out, but it still has those wonderful Medoc aromas and flavors of tobacco and tomato leaves. Good and solid, ought to be OK for a while if stored properly. $19.

No comments: