07 October 2013

2012 Sofia Chardonnay

Once again I'm trying a wine from Coppola, and this particular Sofia release coincides with another one of her films, The Bling Ring, most notable for a non-Herminone role for Emma Watson.

I've seen the movie, and while it was not my favorite Sofia Coppola vehicle (that honor belongs to the tender Lost in Translation), it was stylish and well-scored in a way that reminded me a lot of Marie Antoinette. It is also important to note that Sofia herself is not the winemaker, but that these wines are made in her honor. The bottles are distinctive, and the Sofia rosé is one wine that I'll happily purchase even when a dozen free samples are waiting in my wine fridge.

2012 Sofia Chardonnay
Monterey County
75% Chardonnay, 25% Pinot Blanc
$19, 12.5% abv.

Light and floral with pear and apple aromas, mild acidity and a round mouthfeel. Only 20% of the wine was matured on oak, leading to a light body. I'm finding over time that a splash of a lighter grape really makes me enjoy Chardonnay more. I enjoyed it with a ham and Swiss croissant sandwich while watching Errol Morris' 1988 documentary The Thin Blue Line. Quite groundbreaking for its time but now you realize how many TV shows have aped that style of true crime storytelling.

Note: This wine was provided as a sample.

No comments: