08 July 2013

CrossBarn Wines

CrossBarn Winery was founded about a decade ago in Sonoma by winemaker Paul Hobbs, who has had a long career in the wine industry as a winemaker and consultant. Grapes are sourced from around Sonoma to create a Pinot Noir, a Cabernet Sauvignon, and the two wines featured below.

Both of the wines I received are enclosed with convenient screwcaps. With the summer picnic, BBQ, and party season, I find myself reaching for screwcap bottles when I'm headed out of the house. True, I keep an emergency corkscrew in the glove compartment, but it's so much easier just to pass the bottle to the host or hostess and not have to worry about an opener.

2012 CrossBarn Chardonnay
Sonoma Coast
$25, 14.1% abv.

80% fermentation in stainless steel, 20% fermentation in neutral French oak. This yields a wine that is pretty bright and tart. Vibrant ripe peach aromas dominate with lots of white fruit on the palate. Bold acidity and a crisp finish. I found it to be a fun match with spicy blackened catfish.

2012 CrossBarn Rosé of Pinot Noir
Sonoma Coast
$18, 12.5% abv.

This wine followed the same 80/20 fermentation pattern as the above. I love a dry rosé, and Pinot Noir often produces some of the best. This one retains an elegant and demure French style, with mild flavors and an overall profile of wild strawberries. Strongly recommended with chicken salad sandwiches and mild cheeses during a picnic.

Note: These wines were provided as samples.

2 comments:

fredric koeppel said...

that's one of my favorite roses so far this summer...

Unknown said...

Fredric,

I really enjoyed it, and hope it gets a lot more attention with the following vintage. Great to see such a pale rosé from California!

Cheers,
Benito