13 March 2013

2010 Francis Coppola Director's Cabernet Sauvignon

I received the sample of Francis Coppola's "Director's" Cab Sav a few days after the Oscars, but I did make note of the fact that his son Roman Coppola was nominated alongside the great Wes Anderson for the original screenplay for Moonrise Kingdom. I really loved that film and could write a long essay on it, but will save that for a future post when I've had time to watch it again with a critical eye.

While I'm talking about movies, and Roman has nothing to do with this wine, as a former graphic designer I thought that his 2012 film A Glimpse Inside the Mind of Charles Swan III was brilliant. Most people think that it's just a vanity project for the crazy Charlie Sheen but it's all about a set piece in 1970s Los Angeles and some bold filmmaking choices.

Let's get back to Francis and his fermented grape juice…

2010 Francis Coppola Director's Cabernet Sauvignon
Sonoma County, California
78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Merlot, 7% Cabernet Franc, 4% Syrah, 1% Petit Verdot.
$21, 13.7% abv.

Rich blackberries and dark fruit, with a bit of spice underneath. Not quite a Bordeaux blend with the inclusion of Syrah, but I never reject a properly made Sonoma red mix. Still quite tannic in its youth, but I believe this bottle has good potential with another year or two of aging. Lovely with a steak sandwich topped with grilled onions.

Note: This wine was received as a sample.

No comments: