23 April 2012

White Sangria

Sangria is derived from Latin word for blood, so it is something of a paradox to make white sangria. But despite the logical disconnect, it is delicious.

I used Sauvignon Blanc combined with sugar, vodka, green apples, limes, oranges, and just because I was feeling squirrelly, star anise. As long as you're not offended by licorice aromas and flavors, this is a really wonderful way to spice up a wine cocktail.

The end result was amazing, and Julia and I sipped it alongside chicken tacos. At the end of the meal I topped off the jar with Chardonnay. Tomorrow I'll see how that tastes.

There are many uses for leftover wine, but a lovingly made sangria is one of my favorites.

2 comments:

fredric koeppel said...

no more disconnected than white zinfandel....

Benito said...

Fredric,

Interestingly, the star anise led to a pastis/absinthe character on the second day, though I had control over the sweetness (low) the acidity (medium) and alcohol content (just a bit above wine). Really refreshing but not as heavy or sugary as the other drinks.

Cheers,
Benito