26 January 2011

2009 Purple Cowboy Tenacious Red

I'll admit to occasionally being pulled in by a clever label. This one is set up as a cross between a playing card and a general Old West look, with that design style that says, "fill up all the available space with curls and patterns". You'll see it on old leatherwork and metalwork as well, and it's just a subset of a very busy Victorian look that extended to newspapers and furniture and home decorations and everything else. I imagine it must have been a frustrating time for those with poor eyesight, as their entire world was surrounded by a blur of tiny, cluttered shapes.

The second thing that drew me in was the name, Tenacious Red. Yes, I'm a fan of The D, and while I don't see a lot of opportunities for cross promotion (the cowboy would need to have a guitar, throwing up the devil horns, and the horse would need to be replaced by a mythological beast, preferably Sasquatch), the name was enough to get a laugh out of me in the middle of the wine shop.

2009 Purple Cowboy
Tenacious Red

45% Paso Robles Cabernet Sauvignon
35% Paso Robles Syrah
6% Paso Robles Merlot
5% Oakville Syrah, plus other mixed red
$13, 13.5% abv.

Heavy profile of plum and blackberry. This is a jammy fruit bomb, with low tannins and just a touch of sweetness. I haven't had one of these in a while, and even though it's not my favorite profile, it was a fun bottle of juice for the evening.

Paul was cooking (it was his weekly Steak Night), and after the wedge salad he brought out creamed spinach and T-bones. The meat came from a small farm somewhere around Nashville--his mother and brother purchased half a cow and he brought some of the meat back with him after a recent visit.

While not officially certified organic and all that, the cows are grass-fed and free range, and it shows in the meat. The fat is yellow and rich, and the meat has an earthy, gamey quality that's distinct from the mass market corn-fed beef. It is a little tougher, but with the intensity of the flavor you're limited to smaller bites anyway.

5 comments:

Joe said...

I'm a little bummed you didn't describe the wine as "explosivo"...

Thinking about buying a cow. what's the yield. I suspect my freezer doesn't have the chops...

Benito said...

Joe,

I'm a little bummed you didn't describe the wine as "explosivo"...

Unfortunately, this is not the greatest wine in the world. No, this is just a tribute. Couldn't remember the greatest wine in the world. This is a tribute.

Thinking about buying a cow. what's the yield. I suspect my freezer doesn't have the chops...

Puns aside, my biggest concern is how the meat arrives. My understanding is that you typically get the normal steaks and *lots* of hamburger ground up randomly from the rest. I'd like to make sure I got short ribs, and the heart, and some neck/cheek meat, and the tail, and some other tasty bits.

Cheers,
Benito

Susie Hindle Kher, Wine Muse said...

We order 1/4 bison, locally sourced (Okanogan, Wa). They let us specify ground vs. steak vs. stew ratios. Put in the deep freeze and we are set for a year.

Too bad that wine doesn't live up to the label. I want to relabel my favorite wines with my favorite labels someday!

Benito said...

Susie,

I went to a wine tasting once where the theme was "Great wines with ugly labels".

The bison sounds great--we mostly just get ground bison around here, anything else is a special order.

Cheers,
Benito

Web Design Agency India said...

i am fun of purple cowboy wine. purple cowboy so good and wine is so so testy..
try it........