17 September 2010

2008 The Spanish Quarter

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits.

Yes folks, it's that time of year again when I get the itchy design bug and have to rework the site. This layout might change a bit over the next few days, but I'm digging the 50s/60s vibe and the color scheme makes me think of fall. Maybe it's the Mad Men influence, or perhaps fond memories of a former girlfriend who was crazy about argyle, but I'm happy with the general scheme. For those of you who came here for wine reviews, how about a fun one from Spain?

The 2008 The Spanish Quarter is made by the CordonĂ­u Group. $11, 13.6% abv. From the Costers del Segre DO in the Catalonian corner of northeast Spain. I couldn't find an official website. From a design standpoint, this bottle is mildly unique in that it features a label that wraps around the entire bottle, 360°, and that the title font uses the old Greek qoppa form for the letter Q.

This wine is 55% Cabernet Sauvignon and 45% Tempranillo. You'd think with a name like "The Spanish Quarter" it would be perfect to do a 75%/25% blend. But I can't argue with the way the bottle turned out. Very smooth, nice balance, plum and black cherries, medium tannins, soft yet long and pleasant finish. It is not an overly complex wine, but for the price it is very agreeable, and as with many inexpensive Spanish wines it will pair well with a wide range of foods. Great deal, and in some places it goes for under $10.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I am liking the new scheme and I'm going to try the Spanish Quarter wine for sure. I especially love good wine at a reasonable price point.

Benito said...

Michelle,

I honestly don't recall when or where I got this, but it's a fun little wine, and I grabbed it because it's always nice to have some Spanish wines on hand.

Glad you like the new look, and I'll say to other commenters that, if you don't like it, let me know! My feelings will not be hurt. Your future invites to dinner parties will suffer, though. ;)

Cheers,
Benito

Anonymous said...

Argyle - I don't know.

But 'The Outer Limits'? I'll drink anything associated with 'The Outer Limits'. Er..within reason. I wonder what Warren Oates liked? Hm.

I love Spanish wines.

Benito said...

Anonymous,

Two out of three ain't bad. I actually liked the 1990s reboot of The Outer Limits, though it was so obscure in its scheduling that it did not become enmeshed in the broader culture.

Cheers,
Benito