07 July 2010

The 2009 Class of Robert Oatley Wines

This is my fourth post on the wines of Robert Oatley from Australia. I keep telling folks, if you think you're burnt out and everything from Down Under is a high alcohol fruit bomb, then you're just not looking close enough. As with prior sets, I was impressed with the pleasant, balanced quality of these wines and how well they go with food. At the $15 price point they're pretty affordable as well, and topped with convenient screwcaps. You're also getting an interesting sampler of three very different Australian regions, both in character and physical distance.

2009 Robert Oatley Pinot Grigio
Adelaide Hills, South Australia
$16, 13% abv
I wondered why this was packaged in a green bottle, since it has such a striking dark gold color. Light citrus and floral aroma, with firm acidity and a full body. I would be hard pressed to identify this as a Pinot Grigio in a blind tasting. Roast chicken and pasta salad all the way.

2009 Robert Oatley Sauvignon Blanc
Pemberton, Western Australia
$16, 12.2% abv
Classic aromas and flavors of grass and grapefruit. Not too tart, fairly well-balanced. And while this wine is practically transparent, it does not taste weak or watered down. I'd say go for a traditional grilled shellfish pairing here and have a good time.

2009 Robert Oatley Rosé of Sangiovese
Mudgee, New South Wales
$15, 12.8% abv
Ah, I love this one. Lovely berry aromas and flavors, with just a hint of plum, medium acidity, round mouthfeel. I'm loving what's happening with Sangiovese and Tempranillo in Australia. Like most dry rosés, this will pair with practically anything, but I found that a simple vegetarian pizza really hit the spot. Next time I'd go the extra mile and make a savory pissaladière.


Note: These wines were received as samples.

3 comments:

Joe said...

has rosé of sangiovese become the hypercolor t-shirt of wines (meaning a hot fad right now)? I seem to be tasting it everywhere.

Granted, the high acidity of the grape makes sense for a decent pinkie, but I think the rustic herb/orange peel flavors work better in a red situation. when the cherry in the sanjo shines through, it's good in a rosé. I just equate them to dry fruit, not so much the earthy and rustic elements. But that's me.

Robert Oatley Vineyards said...

Benito, glad you enjoyed the 2009 class! Stay tuned for a Tempranillo from us later this year...

-Robert Oatley Vineyards

Benito said...

Joe,

I don't think I've met a dry rosé that I didn't like, though obviously I prefer some over others. When you taste the grape without the majority of the tannins, it helps give you a better perspective on the other attributes of the grape. Taking this concept to the extreme, I once did a dinner with five forms of pinot noir: sparkling blanc de noirs, sparkling rosé, still blanc de noirs (very rare!), rosé, and then regular red. And I served it with homemade haggis tamales.

Robert Oatley Vineyards,

Looking forward to it! I don't know if these grapes are going to be the next Shiraz or anything, but I've been pleased with what I've tried so far.

Cheers,
Benito