11 June 2009

Online Tasting + 2006 Water Wheel Memsie Red

It's time again for another online tasting with The Commercial Appeal! On Thursday, June 25 at 7:00 p.m. Central Daylight Time, we'll be trying the 2007 Alexander Valley Dry Rosé of Sangiovese. I reviewed the 2006 two years ago and am looking forward to giving this another shot.

Stop by the Whining & Dining blog at the appointed hour if you'd like to join us. Do I have a unique match with this wine? Nope, because dry rosé goes with everything. I'm anxious to see what folks pick to eat with the wine.

A couple of months ago, I led the group in trying the Water Wheel Memsie White. You can read the transcript for details on the unique white blend, but I decided to give the sister wine a chance as well. The 2006 Water Wheel Memsie Red comes from the town of Bendigo in Victoria, Australia. 70% Shiraz, 16% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Malbec, and 6% Petit Verdot.

Light at first... Black cherry and pepper, as expected from the heavy dose of Shiraz. Slightly meaty, with a few jammy undertones. After a while more blackberry flavors develop, and it's pleasantly mild for a young wine with fairly strong grapes. It was a great match along with a cold, rare roast beef sandwich with lots of horseradish.

I've considered hosting a live tasting on this site, but the interesting, oddball wines that I like aren't always available nationwide (or worldwide), and there's issues with the time zones. But I might try a sort of virtual wine party at some point, maybe a Saturday afternoon. Drop in, talk about what wine you're drinking and whatever snacks you've got, shoot the breeze, etc.

6 comments:

Allen said...

Looking forward to the tasting on the 25th.

Allen said...

Will support the "Anything goes tasting on a Saturday afternoon."

Benito said...

Dad,

Thanks for the interest, and I'll post an announcement when and if I decide to do it.

Cheers,
Benito

Samantha Dugan said...

You threw me off there buddy, the extra post made me think it was Friday for a minute...you really should'nt do that to blondes!

I look forward to reading your notes on the 2007 Alexander Rose, some Roses are stuffed enough...and have enough acidity to hold up a couple of extra years, some don't...wonder where that wine is right now. I've never had it, so I'm curious.

We used to have the Water Wheel wines and I always found them pretty interesting and fairly well balanced, sounds like they still are. Thanks for the extra reading pal!

Michael Hughes said...

I love the pink stuff. I'll be sure to jump online for that one.

Benito said...

Sam,

I have a bunch of posts piled up that need publishing... figured I'd add an extra day here and there.

Michael,

We'd love to see you there--be sure to say who you are early on and I'll give you a shout out.

Cheers,
Benito