01 July 2009

2008 Coppola Diamond Collection Sauvignon Blanc

There's nothing in the world quite like a friend that loves good food. And I know that when I get a craving for crab, I can call up Grace and she'll join me. Live blue crab? Snow crab? Dungeness crab? Jonah crab claws? It's all good. She's not a big fan of the King crab legs, but I enjoy them when I've got the proper cracking tools.

Newspapers on the table, ramekins of clarified butter, and a few pounds of crab legs. What more could anyone want? Well, I generally need something to cleanse the palate... I find that a crisp white or sparkler works well, but in this instance I chose something softer: the 2008 Coppola Diamond Collection Sauvignon Blanc. $15, 13.5% abv. Grapefruit and peach nose, light lemon flavors. The most striking thing about this particular Sauvignon Blanc is how smooth it is--and this has been consistent through the years. It's got an almost creamy quality to it with low acidity. The versatility of this grape never ceases to amaze me.

I've enjoyed tasting my way through the Diamond Collection product line--I haven't tried the Petite Sirah or Malbec yet, but I'm sure I'll get around to them eventually. These wines are widely available and consistent in quality, and if you don't have a lot of storage space but wanted to keep a few wines on standby, I'd suggest a bottle or two each of the Claret, the Sauvignon Blanc, and the Syrah. If you're a wine fanatic chasing odd grapes, be sure to try the bizarre Alicante Bouschet and tap into the pre-Prohibition wine mindset.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Timely post… I tried my first South African Sauvignon Blanc today – 2008 Bon Cap The Ruins Sauvignon Blanc. Good QPR at $10. Nose was predominately grapefruit and lime w/ a hint of “cats pee”… I still can’t believe I find myself enjoying a beverage that smells like cat urine, but Sav Blanc is by far my favorite white varietal. The palate was very similar to the nose w/ lots of citrus and a ton of acidity.

Crab, eh? I’m from Maryland and eat crab weekly in the summer. Nothing like a bushel of Maryland crab, bowl of butter, and a case of cold beer… as I previously mentioned, I am new to wine, so I have yet to pair wine with crab, but I think this post has inspired me to pair my next batch of crab with a Sav Blanc…

Cheers,
Nick

Benito said...

Nicholas,

You'll be glad to know that Old Bay seasoning was involved with this dinner.

If you're used to beer with crab, try a Prosecco (an Italian sparkling wine). Ice it down and pour it cold, and it will help make the transition.

Cheers,
Benito

Unknown said...

Thanks, Benito... I'll give it a try

Grace said...

Skip the wine and I'll just drink the butter with the crab. Crab and bread are nothing but excuses to eat butter.

Benito said...

Grace,

I'll try to provide some shot glasses for the butter next time. :)

Cheers,
Benito

Samantha Dugan said...

Benito,
Have you ever done Vouvray with crab? Oh...man, still refreshing but a great mineral driven Chenin Blanc, with all its rich, round texture is brilliant with crab.

Benito said...

Samantha,

I've never had Vouvray with crab. I love it, but unfortunately there's not much of it here in town.

Cheers,
Benito