20 May 2009

Benito vs. the Cocktail: Pinky Vodka

I'm going to start out with an admission: I'm not a big fan of flavored vodka. Many flavored vodkas are sweetened to some degree and use artificial flavoring, which detracts from the cocktail you're fixing. Now, I've had some incredible flavored vodkas, such as the Polish Żubrówka or buffalo grass vodka. And homemade limoncello is great, but only if you're using real lemons. Unfortunately most of these bottles are just shortcuts for busy bars, and the home cocktail enthusiast should take the time to squeeze some fresh limes or mash up a few raspberries. It will taste so much better.

But gin is essentially a flavored vodka, and I love gin. Why? Because the better ones are made with a harmonious blend of botanicals, herbs, and spices, and they taste great and add complexity to the right cocktails. Or take something like the peculiar Hendrick's, which is flavored with rose petals and cucumbers. With this mindset I was enthusiastic about trying Pinky Vodka.

Pinky is a flavored vodka from Sweden, that, at least in my mind, leans more towards the gin side. It was formulated by wine fans, and is completely dry. As with a good gin, the full recipe is secret, but we do know that it includes wild strawberries, rose petals, violets, and nine other botanicals. It has a lovely light floral aroma with just a hint of the strawberries. And the color is truly striking; everyone who has seen the bottle in my house has remarked on it.

Looking through the various recipes that came with the press kit, I settled on the Beau Jardin (pictured above), attributed to the World Café of Santa Monica, CA. The recipe is quite simple: 4 parts Pinky Vodka, a splash of dry white vermouth, a splash of simple syrup, and a sprig of rosemary. Shake all together with ice and strain in cocktail glasses, reserving the rosemary for garnish. This worked out pretty well, as it took inspiration from a martini. The rosemary was a nice touch, and I love the current renewal of interest in using fresh herbs in cocktails.

However, I thought it was still not quite right. This is such a delicately flavored vodka, it has no relation whatsoever to a cheap jug of watermelon-flavored swill used for Jell-O shooters. No, this is a subtle ingredient that could be easily and quickly overpowered by other ingredients. So I developed my own recipe, because I'm cool like that:

Benito's Original Extended Pinky Cocktail
2 oz. Pinky Vodka
½ oz. Lillet Blanc
Dash of Fee Brothers Rhubarb Bitters*
Club Soda or Sparkling Water

Combine the Pinky Vodka and the Lillet Blanc in a tumbler or highball glass with a few ice cubes. Add a dash or two of Rhubarb Bitters (or substitute orange, darker bitters might be too much for this cocktail). Stir with the ice, and then top off to desired strength with club soda or sparkling water. Garnish with a slice of lime if you're in the mood, and it would work just as well strained in a cocktail glass if you prefer that presentation. Hopefully the name tells you how to hold the glass while you're enjoying it.

The benefit of this latter recipe is that it lets you enjoy the flavors and aromas of the vodka without the strong hit from the alcohol, and the Lillet Blanc adds just a touch of sweetness and white wine flavor without overpowering anything. Check out Pinky if you get a chance, and try a splash straight or over ice before you decide how to use it. Remember less is more when it comes to cocktails, and you'll be happy.

*I don't know why it just occurred to me to use the rhubarb bitters with a strawberry ingredient. They're such a natural pair.

8 comments:

Samantha Dugan said...

A Gin drinkers Vodka you say? Think I'm gonna have to have our spirits buyer get me a bottle of Pinky Vodka...think I have seen it once and figured it was some marketing ploy, fishing for female consumers, (although I think more women buy Vodka than men) so I pushed my nose up at it...but if you give it the thumbs up dude, I'll give it a slurp

Benito said...

Samantha,

I'm not sure what the target demographic is for this spirit--for instance, some goth chicks go way past all black and end up wearing frilly pink clothes, sort of wrapping around the fashion spectrum.

But I stand by my assessment of this being more like a gin than a vodka, and the color is largely irrelevant. Ditto for my beloved dry rosés; they're food friendly and have wonderful flavors, so who cares if they're pink?

Cheers,
Benito

Mrs. L said...

For crazy folks like me and my a couple of my friends who are probably way past the demographic age for this vodka...it's PINK...swoon. This non goth, non frilly, does not have a house full of pink stuff must find this vodka! Thanks for the heads up and rhubarb bitters? Who knew!?

Benito said...

Mrs. L,

Check it out and give it a try, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Drop me a line if you get a chance to taste it.

Cheers,
Benito

fredric koeppel said...

gin is essentially a flavored vodka! bite yer tongue... and then ease the pain with a Junipero martini.

Cocktails at 80 said...

sounds great, but hard to imagine myself (as a guy) buying a product with name and package.

I don't mind you calling gin a flavored vodka, vodka is just ethyl alcohol with great marketing.

Sarah Miller said...

Nice cocktail recipe.Both Pinky vodka and cocktail looks amazing. I like the design of the bottle also.And the color is so beautiful that it can attract anybody's attention.The color of Benito's Pinky Cocktail is different from Pinky cocktail. I like the color of Pinky cocktail most. But I like to try Benito's Pinky cocktail as the cocktail sounds delicious.I like to enjoy my drink with snacks and cigar. I prefer to Buy Cigars online.

frederic said...

Benito, just writing to inform you that a blog has been scraping blog posts from me, and a google search brought me to your page. You should write Google via the instructions on this page http://www.google.com/blogger_dmca.html"

The thief's page (one of the several posts):
http://cocktailspirit.blogspot.com/2009/05/benito-vs-cocktail-pinky-vodka.html

-Frederic