25 February 2009

Benito vs. the Cocktail: The Doctor Manhattan

In honor of the upcoming Watchmen film, I looked around for a Doctor Manhattan Cocktail. Finding none, I decided to build one of my own. For those unfamiliar with the influential 80s graphic novel that deconstructed the superhero mythos, catch up with a brief bio. For the purposes of this post, all you have to know is that he's a light blue glowing entity with god-like powers.

I don't know how the movie is going to turn out, but everyone should read Alan Moore's original Watchmen graphic novel, rated by TIME as one of the top 100 novels of all time. (Just because it's a comic book doesn't mean it's not serious, get with the times people.)

Benito's Original Doctor Manhattan Cocktail

2 oz. Orange Vodka
1 oz. Blue Curaçao
½ oz. Simple Syrup (or more, to taste)
Juice of half a lemon or lime
Sparkling water to top it off

Mix the first four ingredients in a shaker with ice. Stir until chilled and mixed, then strain into the glass of your choice (I used a sort of highball glass). Add sparkling water to taste.

It is obviously strong on the orange flavor, and will get you a full day's worth of Vitamin C in one glass. And yes, it's more colorful and fruit-flavored than a lot of the cocktails that I've posted here, but I've got to admit it's a lot of fun. Quick and bracing, to be served when a margarita would be appropriate. Bonus points if you put one cherry in the bottom of the glass and one on on the rim to simulate the hydrogen atom sigil on the Doctor's forehead.

8 comments:

Samantha Dugan said...

Very bad night at a drag club in San Diego started with a blue drink and ended with me drinking, (from the bottle mind you) a bottle of Jager....needless to say, blue drinks are on the "Ban List"...cool idea though!

Anonymous said...

Blue cocktails! they belong in the category of blue food: No way, Jose!

Anonymous said...

I'll take one- maybe two - depending on the weather. It sounds like good summer drink!

I probably don't get out as much as I should, but I'm usually not offered anything blue to drink. If I went into most any bar up here and asked for something blue - Only God knows what I get.

Benito said...

Y'all are missing the opportunity to mix this up in a scrubbed Windex bottle and convince friends and family that you've gone completely insane.

The color blue is pretty rare in nature and explains why so many of those pretty blue parrots ended up as feathered cloaks for Aztec rulers, or why gems like turquoise and lapis lazuli were so important.

Kristin said...

ever tried this with HypnotiQ (sp?)
instead of Blue Curacao?

Unknown said...

Kristin,

I've never tried Hpnotiq, but then again I don't often need a blue ingredient for a cocktail. :)

I suppose this is as good a time as any to point out some fan art that was made in honor of this original recipe.

Kristin said...

Oh how AWESOME is that?!

Samuel Badree said...

colourist logo thagt is good and aMAIZNG