08 July 2006

Tasting Notes for July 8, 2006

Last week was the first round of the blind tastings held by a local wine shop. They do this every summer, and it can be fun. All of the wines this week were Italian. Somehow I aced the whites and completely screwed up on the reds, which is unfortunate because I wasn't all that fond of the whites. Hey, I've never claimed to be an expert on Italian wines. I have found that I prefer them with food, at least in terms of the bargain wines. For the most part I was not impressed with these wines.

Wine 1: Terredora Di Paolo Prosecco NV. Campania, Italy. So this wasn't too hard to pick out. Two sparkling wines, one dry, one sweet. Fish in a barrel. The prosecco was crisp and lemony, with a sparkling mineral water quality to it. Prosecco is one of my bargain favorites for kicking off a dinner party. $11.

Wine 2: 2005 Principessa Gavia di Gavi. Piemonte, Italy. Very light and thin, with a slightly harsh aftertaste. Made from the Cortese grape. $15.

Wine 3: 2005 Kris Pinot Grigio. Vento, Italy. Mild, with a little fruit, but ultimately unspectacular. Very flat. And of course, it's a Pinot Grigio. $14.

Wine 4: 2004 Villa Sparina Gavi. Piemonte, Italy. Hints of nutmeg, bolder fruit than the previous wines. A little apple comes through on the flavor. $20.

Wine 5: 2004 Bigi Est! Est!! Est!!!. Orvieto, Italy. I don't think I've drunk any wines with exclamation points in their names. Light and watery, not interesting. Very little flavor. $10.

Wine 6: Scrapona Moscato d'Asti NV. No info. I love Moscato d'Asti, and this didn't disappoint. Honeysuckle aromas and flavor. Medium sweet. $19.

Wine 7: 2004 Tommasi Rompicollo Toscana IGT. Tuscany, Italy. Strawberries and mild tannins. Some plum flavors. $16.

WIne 8: 2000 Lodola Nuova Nobile di Montepulciano. Tuscany, Italy. Herbal and vegetal, slightly harsh aroma. Mild, light and slightly tannic. $24.

Wine 9: 2003 Caparzo Rosso di Montalcino. Tuscany, Italy. Very thin, no tannins, no dominant flavors and slightly bitter. Made from Sangiovese. $18.

Wine 10: 2001 Zaccagnini Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. Abruzzi, Italy. I love this wine, and didn't recognize it. Great berry flavors, firm and tart and delicious. $16.

Wine 11: 2003 Zenato Ripassa Valpolicella. Verona, Italy. Dark cherry flavors, full bodied and tannic. $26.

Wine 12: 2002 Vidussi Ari di Miute Collio Rosso. Friuli-Venezia, Italy. No info. Fuller alcohol aroma, dark fruit, mellow tannins and a smooth finish. Actually quite nice. $29.

1 comment:

winegirlap said...

It's a shame you weren't totally impressed with the white Italians you tasted, when there are so many great Italian whites out there you could be drinking! I recently started drinking more Italian wine after being exposed to some great ones at a tasting last year--think Alois Lageder, Saracco for Moscato d'Asti, and Inama. I can't get enough of Alois Lageder's Pinot Bianco, and the great part, I'm finding, is that Italian wine is so affordable! Lageder is imported by a company called Dalla Terra Winery Direct who, it turns out, skips the middle man in the international importing system making the wines they import so much more affordable for consumers. And everything I tasted at their table last year was amazing, so now I look for the Dalla Terra label on my Italian wines. I recommend checking them out!