19 September 2008

2006 Santa Digna Sauvignon Blanc

After my enjoyment of the Santa Digna Rosé, I was anxious to try another bottle from this winery. There are a handful of other varietals under this label, and for this dinner I chose the 2006 Santa Digna Sauvignon Blanc, produced by Miguel Torres in the Valle Central of Chile. $11, 13.5% abv, pure Sauvignon Blanc.

After chilling I found it bright and rich, round yet still tangy. Aromas of apple, pear, and I think dogwood blossoms. The flavor is nicely acidic but isn't heavy on the grapefruit side like New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. Reminds me more of a California implementation of this grape. Great bargain and a good all-purpose white to have on hand.

Served with grilled mahi-mahi topped with cilantro, red pepper, and green onion, and a side of brown rice and kidney beans. Mahi-mahi can get dried out easily, but I managed to cook this filet just right. For a change I decided to shoot it halfway through the meal, super up close, and at a weird dynamic angle.

I find myself looking at plates and tablecloths and other props that I could use for a food studio setup, but I don't have all the storage space for those things. But even in a small house you can find some different lighting opportunities to spice things up. In the future I'll have a digital SLR that will even shoot under candlelight properly.

No comments: