05 September 2008

The Golden Apples of the Sun

Ozark Gold apples from Jones Orchard in Millington, Tennessee.



Summer is coming to a close, and what better way to mark that passage of time than "The Song of Wandering Aengus" by William Butler Yeats, whose beautiful final line serves as the title of this post:

I went out to the hazel wood,
Because a fire was in my head,
And cut and peeled a hazel wand,
And hooked a berry to a thread;
And when white moths were on the wing,
And moth-like stars were flickering out,
I dropped the berry in a stream
And caught a little silver trout.

When I had laid it on the floor
I went to blow the fire aflame,
But something rustled on the floor,
And some one called me by my name:
It had become a glimmering girl
With apple blossom in her hair
Who called me by my name and ran
And faded through the brightening air.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh... you must not live in Texas then. ;)

We've got about another month or so of weather in the high 90s.

Barbara said...

Great photo Ben. It matches the poem so well.