27 February 2013

2011 Hahn Winery Pinot Noir

The wines of Hahn Estates made their first appearance on this blog back in 2006, and by 2009 I was able to get the rooster logo question answered by the winemakers. (Hahn means rooster in German, a language I studied for two years. I assume agricultural vocabulary was a central feature of year three.)

Now in 2013, I'm getting a sample of the wine via a PR firm. I've bought many bottles over the years and have enjoyed the wines immensely, and they're quite affordable. The Cabernet Franc remains one of my favorites, and it's an inexpensive way to enjoy that particular grape on its own, rather than in the usual blend.

I mentioned the rooster above because I love the brushstrokes used to create the current incarnation of the logo, with a nod towards Chinese calligraphy and simple, elegant, two color design (with a gold foil signature of founder Nicky Hahn). 2017 will be the year of the Fire Rooster in the Chinese zodiac and we all know how much enthusiasm there is in China for wine these days... I'm seeing a marketing win here, folks.

2011 Hahn Winery Pinot Noir
California
100% Pinot Noir
$14, 14.5% abv.

Bright raspberry, smooth as silk with tannins that only show up on the second sip. With some breathing you get touches of brambles and black cherry. Very impressive wine for the price, while many other sub-$20 Pinot Noirs will leave you disappointed. Pair this with a platter of cured pork, good cheeses, olives, and even a few gherkins for a pleasant midweek nibbling while watching a movie.

Note: This wine was received as a sample.

No comments: