26 December 2008

The Old Fashioned Cocktail

Cocktail enthusiast Robert Hess has written an extensive history of the Old Fashioned in a compulsive manner most commonly seen amongst fans of science fiction, antique furniture, or postage stamps (and I say that as a lover of all three). For mine, I elected to use the 1933 recipe:

- 1 lump sugar
- 4 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 1 lump ice
- 1 glass Rye Whiskey
- 1 slice orange
- 1 cherry
Stir well until Sugar is dissolved, then squeeze lemon peel on top and serve in same glass used for mixing.


The whiskey in the beverage tends to dominate the other flavors, but they're all present and once the ice begins to melt, it takes on a more refreshing character.

While I definitely like this cocktail, I think it's heavily dependent on the quality of the whiskey and the choices of the mixologist. Order with caution, and if you have to teach the recipe to the bartender it's probably better to try something else.

Serving this, or any other cocktail in an official Tiki Bar Mini Mug is optional, but points for style always count.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes, that's not exactly a standard Old Fashioned glass.

Samantha Dugan said...

Benito,
This looks like one of those, "It'll put har on yer chest" kind of cocktails....the older I get the less I am looking for that little side effect :) but the cup is wicked cool and thanks for sending me the Death In The Afternoon recpie, loved it!

Anonymous said...

I am SO going to try this as my break between wine bottles. I like that you include something other than JUST wine...though I LOVE wine. Thank you.