19 November 2007

Le Beaujolais Nouveau est arrivé!

Hey kids, it's that time of year again. Though I'm closing in on my exploration of each of the cru Beaujolais regions, there's still a soft spot in my heart for the simple delight of Beaujolais Nouveau. I didn't get around to it on Thursday, but I figured a Saturday afternoon was as good a time as any.

The banana custard aroma is there, with a bit of strawberry. I didn't like my first sample of this, but after some breathing, the second glass was much more palatable and followed the expectation. I think I'll enjoy it more amidst the backdrop of a big Thanksgiving gathering. In the presence of comfort foods and without other wine geeks around, its profile tends to brighten. Should anyone be interested, here are my notes on the 2006 and 2005 releases.

One weird complaint: the synthetic cork proved almost impossible to get back into the bottle. It's not that big of a deal, as I have several stoppers and a ton of old corks, but it's generally easier to use the same cork when you're throwing it back in the fridge for later use.

No comments: