11 July 2007

Benito vs. the Farmers Market: Big Ol' Squash

The gigantic summer squash and baby onions you see at right were purchased at the Downtown Farmers Market. What to do with such bounty? I added a few cans of fire roasted tomatoes, some ricotta cheese, my own herbs, and made a squash gratin. I would call it lasagna, but that would be a
pseudotrophe
. I'm going to get that word in the dictionary at some point.

I sliced up the squash on a mandoline, one of the only kitchen gadgets that I'm genuinely afraid of and hide so that no one will accidentally hurt themselves. It's fun, don't get me wrong, but I just see neat piles of bloody fingertips whenever I pull it out of the cupboard. When making the dish I treated it much like lasagna: layers of thin zucchini slices, then ricotta and herbs, then tomatoes, crookneck slices, then sautéed mushrooms and the baby onions, etc. The top layer included both crookneck and zucchini slices along with some grated Romano cheese.

The end result? Really good, but somewhat watery. I drained off the excess liquid, and am looking forward to the leftovers. I think it would make an interesting side dish, though I had it as my main course for dinner alongside a salad for an all-vegetarian meal. On top of that, nearly all of the ingredients were either grown by me, purchased from the farmers market, or organic.

For the wine, I pulled out a 2005 Saint-Véran, an unoaked white Burgundy. It's got a rich fruity nose, along with a tart acidity, good minerality, and full mouth feel. A bit of carrot cake flavor on the finish, oddly enough.

No comments: