30 September 2013

William Hill Estate Winery

While tasting a pair of Napa reds from William Hill Estate Winery on a quiet and rainy September afternoon, I found myself craving munchkin burgers. I know I've covered them many times in the past, but my dinner guests love eating them and I love making them. A little red onion marmalade, some smoked Gouda, mesclun greens... So simple yet so delicious, and while these are serious wines, I feel that the preparation of these little burgers demands something substantial.

2010 William Hill Estate Merlot
Napa Valley
100% Merlot
$30, 14.5% abv.
5,000 cases made

Classic California Merlot with aromas and flavors of cherry and black pepper. Medium tannins and a gentle finish. As it opens up it becomes a little softer with deeper plum flavors.

2010 William Hill Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
Napa Valley
92% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Petit Verdot, 2% Petite Sirah, 1% Merlot
$40, 14.8% abv.
6,874 cases made

Of the two wines, I preferred this bottle with its clever blend. It opens up with a nose of plum and leather, coffee, chocolate, and a touch of spice. Firm tannins and one that rewards a thorough swirling of the glass. It matched particularly well with the rich onion marmalade and I think would go great with a thick porterhouse, cooked medium rare and carved for several people.

Note: These wines were provided as samples for review.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I shall now enrich your life by sharing with you about china williamhill japan. At one stage or another, every man woman or child will be faced with the issue of china williamhill japan. While it is becoming a hot topic for debate, it is impossible to overestimate its impact on modern thought. Inevitably china williamhill japan is often misunderstood by global commercial enterprises, who form the last great hope for our civilzation