16 July 2008

2005 Smoking Loon Viognier

Answering weird cravings is always fun. I was driving home from work, staring at the back of the car in front of me, the sleepy tones of NPR news drifting into the background, and I thought that swordfish and mango salsa would be great for dinner. After a stop at the grocery store for the ingredients I diced a ripe mango and an Anaheim chile, minced a shallot and dosed it all with the juice of a lemon so it could cure in the fridge.

I seasoned the swordfish steak with soy sauce and Chinese five spice powder, then pan seared it on each side for about four minutes. Meanwhile I braised shredded radicchio with balsamic vinegar and a touch of salt. Thrown all together it wasn't quite as pretty as I'd hoped, but it took care of the craving.

The wine poured was the 2005 Smoking Loon Viognier, California, $9, 13.5% abv. Floral, spicy aroma, with a rich flavor that had a touch of honey from start to finish. Not sweet at all, but that great nectar flavor. Good value, and an interesting application of the grape.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Benito....boy, I have had the viognier craving before. I found a few viognier bottles that were great values. Yalumba from Australia makes a wonderful value viognier. My spouse loves Zaca Mesa from California. Any interest in linking sites? Cheers!
Gerry@winegent.com Wine Gent