15 February 2008

2005 Pouilly-Fuissé

Here's another $20 white Burgundy: 2005 Pouilly-Fuissé from Domaine Béranger. It's a remarkably fresh and fruity wine, with aromas of fresh cut apples, pears, and ginger. Nice fruit flavors, but overall well balanced.

By contrast, a few weeks ago I tried the 2005 Pouilly-Fuissé from Louis Jadot. It had such a rich oak aroma that my friend Paul said it smelled exactly like an old church. It was an interesting combination: old leather, wooden pews, and the faint scent of Lemon Pledge. After breathing this dissipated, but it was still charming.

In the foreground of the photo you can see the wood-bound wine journal that Paul's fiancée Grace got me for Christmas. It's in Italian and English (definitely a plus for me) and provides a two page spread for each wine in which you evaluate all elements and draw a sketch of the label. I do not intend to use it for every wine, but at times it's nice to sit down and put pen to paper. Most of my wine notes are scribbled on the backs of envelopes and receipts and are shoved into a pocket for transcribing to the web later.

No comments: