18 September 2005

2003 Crane Lake Petite Sirah

Continuing my run through the bargain offerings from Crane Lake, I decided to give the 2003 Petite Sirah a try. This isn't on the floor at our local shop, but the owner is keeping a couple of cases in the back for friends. And who couldn't resist the temptation to try a $4 Petite Sirah? I've got to say that it's quite good. Not as good as the $10 bottles from Bogle or Concannon, but a solidly built wine in its own right. Blackberry aromas with a matching, jammy flavor. Deep purple color, and well-rounded tannins. And yes, it stains your tongue dark blue if you have more than a glass.

I had two bottles this weekend, one with New York-style pizza and one with some boneless ribeyes. Three other people tasted this wine with me and were very impressed even before I told them about the price. I doubt that it will age well, but this is a fun little wine, particularly if you haven't had any prior experience with this grape.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just had a bottle with a steak, and I must say it was very good. Was $5.99 here on the East Coast, but the store that sells it has a 10% sale on Weds., so I will be going back for more.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.